We chose Taroudant because it is:
- an authentic market town with exceptionally preserved ancient town walls and few foreign visitors.
- non-touristy and off the beaten track, yet close to Agadir airport, with a good choice of cheap flights.
- a very safe, friendly place which is small enough to walk across in 25 minutes.
- only 3.5 hours’ flight from the UK and only 50 minutes’ drive from Agadir airport.
- very accessible to a wide variety of contrasting places (each with different geology, scenery and wildlife) – the High Atlas mountains, the Anti- Atlas mountains, the Atlantic coast, the fertile Souss valley and the Tiz n Test, a mountain pass said to be the most spectacular in Morocco.
Although in the south of Morocco, it is not all arid: you’ll be surprised at the lush greenness of valleys and oases.
Taroudant has an excellent climate, being the warmest town in Morocco in winter. It is so warm that tortoises don’t need to hibernate here – you too can come to bask in the sun in mid winter. More on weather. More on sunshine hours
Like to join one of our Special Interest Holidays?