Ecoprinting with Caroline Nixon
24 September - 1 October 2022
£695 per person
The Venue Well known for magical meaningful holidays, excellent food and exceptional staff, the award-winning set up relocated in 2020 to a stunning sustainably-run Ecolodge beside the town walls with a pool and permaculture gardens. Enjoy the sun all year round as well as exceptional menu of local healthy food. Located on the south side of the ancient town walls of Taroudant, it enjoys the best winter climate in Morocco due to its southerly setting in the fertile Souss Valley.
“A wonderful holiday. Its reputation is well-established, but it is now based at an amazing new sustainable, purpose-built ecolodge. .. exceeded our expectations (plus we are not normally fans of organised/group holidays!). Fabulous team, delicious food (including vegan), amazing accommodation, wonderful activities! Taroudant was a brilliant location to get a feel of authentic Morocco.” J Elmes, January 2020.
Places to Visit Taroudant is little visited by tourists, has shopper-friendly souks with an exotic traditional atmosphere. It lies between contrasting mountain landscapes: the majestic High Atlas and the extraordinary Anti-Atlas (beyond which lies the Sahara). And it is only an hour’s drive from the sandy, rocky and marshy habitats of the Atlantic coast. Option to extend your week with a tour starting on the 1st October.
Feel safe thanks to the care of loving English-speaking staff, good medical facilities, excellent WiFi, safe water as well as the town being small, relaxed and friendly with few tourists.
Heartful Holistic Holidays with a wide choice of other authentic activities including option to support charitable projects. Explore the fascinating culture with the help of delightful guides; option to explore, use our library or small spa, swim or laze in the sun or shade.
The People Enjoy the support of 11 charming experienced mainly English-speaking Moroccan staff and the resident tutor for your chosen week. The Holidays with Heart UK team provide substantial pre-visit information and support based on 25 years’ experience of Morocco.
Optional activities include crafts, cookery, language, visits to charitable projects, trekking, wildlife, massage and several other choices run by the amazingly knowledgeable guides.
Cost: £695 per person
- Airport transfers from/to Agadir at one designated time
- Accommodation in en suite twin or double bedroom, single occupancy on request
- Substantial breakfasts and vegetarian evening meals (meat or fish at extra cost)
- Lunches every day except one, when lunch is optional
- Tutored half day long workshops daily
- £50 payable direct to Caroline in advance for access to extensive video tutorials on types of fabric, dyes, what you need and why, as well as for materials
- Flights (often under £70 return if booked early)
- Single occupancy supplement £20 per night
- Travel insurance (required)
- Meat or fish supplement
- Tourist Taxes 41 MAD (approx £3.20) per person per night)
Options payable in Morocco
- Cultural experiences
- Supplement for meat or fish dishes at evening meal.
- Feast for the Senses.
- Airport taxi transfers at times other than the designated flight.
See details of prices and choices
Trip Advisor Travellers’ Choice 2020 & 2021
Voted Top 10 in the World: Lonely Planet Eco Stays 2014 & VegeNews Vegetarian Holidays 2005
Responsible Tourism Trophy for Community Project Work 2009
Green Key Certified from 2012
About Ecoprinting (also known as botanical contact printing)
It is a way of transferring the beautiful shapes and colours of foliage onto cloth to make permanent prints, using heat and pressure. Combined with plant based dyes, beautiful and complex results can be obtained.
Your tutor Caroline is renowned for her clear teaching and her clear crisp colourful prints. Working in either indoor or outdoor spaces we will forage a rich and exciting array of plant material from the well stocked garden, or from further afield, with the help of our knowledgeable local botanist Said.
The retreat is suitable for everyone from complete beginners to experienced printers. Teaching will be geared to your level and your needs, and individual projects will be encouraged and supported. Beginners will learn how to get clear prints from leaves right from the start, while experienced printers will be challenged to explore the possibilities of vegetation that is new to them, and will have access to a wide range of natural dyes, including experimenting with traditional local dyes.
Each day there will be half a day of formal teaching, with the other half free to get involved in other activities. You can work on scarves, yardage or garments etc. a detailed materials list will be provided.
You are welcome to bring a friend or partner who does not wish to print – there are extensive opportunities to do other activities.
Intermediate and Advanced – is for you if:
• You are confidently able to produce clear prints on both cellulose and protein
• You have experience of using mordants, dyes and carrier cloths
• You have experience of combining natural dyes with ecoprint
• You would like to learn to print larger pieces, or more complex garments
• You would like to learn about combining tannins, natural dyes and indigo in various ways to greatly extend your colour palette
• You would like to improve your understanding of how fabric, leaves, mordants, dyes, tannins and indigo interact with each other
• You would like to improve your understanding of experimenting with new leaves and dyes and their printing characteristics
• We will work with the classic dyes such as madder, weld, cochineal and logwood, but I will also bring a selection of less common dyes and less known mordants. We will also take the opportunity to experiment with local dyes such as henna.
Left photo: Caroline
To Book or Express an Interest: Limited places available. Book early to get good flight prices, but please do NOT book flights until we give the go-ahead! Request a place at www.cecu.co.uk/book
We will then send you the payment schedule (split into 4 instalments. £100 initial deposit) & then we send lots of useful pre-visit information – we have 20 years’ experience behind us.
Each day there will be half a day of formal teaching daily and an option to choose one of the many cultural experiences and activities on offer here. Caroline will provide precise details of the content of her workshop. These details will be included here soon.
Day 1 Arrival Day – welcome & settle in.
Day 2 Morning teaching. Afternoon studio time plus optional Cultural Experience eg ride around town on a horse-drawn taxi.
Day 3 Morning excursion, walking at an oasis & in the Anti Atlas Mountains with Said with opportunity to gather foliage.
Day 4 Morning teaching. Afternoon studio time or optional Cultural Experience
Day 5 Morning: optional excursion to the High Atlas Mountains including gathering foliage. Teaching. Afternoon studio.
Day 6 Half day teaching. Half day studio time.
Day 7 Half day teaching, half day studio time with wrap up session and ‘show and tell’ of the week’s work. Optional “Feast for the Senses” after supper.
Day 8 Option to return home or Day 8-15 join a tour to contrasting parts of Morocco with our excellent driver.